View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Project CRD MJ: 

Alrighty, as some of you may or may not know a year ago I finally won the bid on a wrecked CRD. Since 2005 I had been bidding on wrecked CRDs and had been constantly outbid even on low prices(like loosing a bid at $2600). Well I was ecstatic that I finally won the bid, the only downside is that the Jeep was for my father not me. We proceeded to fix the vehicle and drive it out to california for him, he has been driving it ever since and has run up over 30k miles in only a year, the little oiler makes a great vehicle for him. Its repair can be seen here:
http://www.colorado4wheel.com/images/libby/libertyrepair.html

Well a little while back now at the beginning of april, and uncannily enough exactly one year after purchaing my fathers Jeep, on my 22nd birthday I purchased an engine that I had found on craigslist. The engine was setup to mate to the NV3550. A plan was formulated and I started looking for an MJ.

Now I had been stalking a MJ at my local insurance auction for a few weeks, well everything worked out just right and today I won the bid on it for $850:
http://www.klode.com/Kws/Napplications/display_pics.aspx?Stockid=882018&Exit=Close

So the project should begin in earnest soon. The CRD engine, with a NV3550 and NP242 will be dropped in. A 4WD front end will be installed, and Dana 44 in the rear. I have the interior/dash out of a 01XJ that will be installed. 97+ doors will be put on as well.(some of these parts to either be sourced cheap from the junkyard, or a parts TJ or XJ).

The Chinese Jeep 2500 front ends parts will be installed, and the whole vehicle will be repainted PR4 - Flame Red. Later 16" FreedomXJ/5.9ZJ wheels will be installed and a shell for camping put on the back.

Jeep 2500 front end:
http://www.colorado4wheel.com/content/Jeep2500.html

The tail lights will be the overseas 97+ XJ tailights as seen here(as well as the 16" freedom wheels seen here):

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:33 pm

This information is just for reference right now:

Since the XJ uses the older CCD bus and my engine/bosch ECU uses the new PCI bus this means that I will not be able to use the XJ 97-01 gauge cluster. All the important information(engine speed, vehicle speed, water temp, oil pressure etc) is carried on the CCD or PCI.

Basically, if you try to use the XJ cluster nothing will work except the basic things like turn signal indicators.

So to that end a very nice solution presents itself. The TJ gauge cluster is the same basic size and shape as the XJ cluster, but the newer TJ clusters use the PCI bus.

To that end a TJ gauge cluster will replace the XJ gauge cluster in my dash, it will require some basic wiring work, if possible I will de pin the XJ connectors and insert the pins where needed into the TJ cluster. This is the best solution because it keeps the stock wiring intact with fewer splices and therefor fewer places for a future failure to occur.

Anyways, here is what will need to be connected for that to work:

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:36 pm

More reference information:

Root Moose wrote:
For the interior are you planning to make the air bags functional or gut them and use them to make the interior look complete?

I don't see why the entire SRS harness couldn't be transferred over to an older XJ... it's not like anything structural changed. the sensor locations and such should still be valid unless there is some kind of a ECU tie in with the air bag ECU.

jtdesigns wrote:

Most airbag systems I've ran into have there own computer with them, most of the time you have to swap the srs unit with the bags. I know airbags also require a speed input too, so you'd have to get the wheel speed sensors too, or the vehicle speed sensor.. I dont know which one jeeps use.

The XJ ACM(Airbag Control Module) is a self contained unit that sits under the center console, there are no crash zone sensors as many other airbag systems have, merely the accelerometer/safing sensor located in the module.

There is not a direct connection between the ACM and the vehicle speed sensor, The XJ ACM does use the CCD bus connect, though the wiring diagrams seem to indicate that it connects to the gauge cluster(presumably for the airbag light) and the data link connector(for diagnostic).

Regardless I still have some concern that the ACM will need the vehicle speed information available on the CCD bus. This is a problem because the KJ CRD ECU uses the newer PCI bus.

If the vehicle speed information is needed for the ACM to operate properly then I will use a XJ CCD PCM(basically a 97-01 XJ PCM) connect the 5V supply, ground, and speed sensor signal back to the XJ PCM where needed, and connect the PCM to switched power as needed. This will then take the speed signal coming from the speedo pickup and broadcast it via the CCD bus. Since the vehicle is getting rewired with the PCI bus for all critical functions the CCD will be a secondary bus system that only contains information for the ACM.

So by doing it this way I can ensure that the airbag systems will still remain functional.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:37 pm

phillyzj wrote:
how did you get all the electronics that you needed?

My engine was a complete engine, with clutch flywheel wiring harness etc.

The only thing that prevents the engine from running right now are the ECU and APPS.

I have sourced an ECU and a guy in the UK is holding it for me while we find me an APPS unfortunatly for me the KJ I got my ECU out of had the APPS stolen.

At worst case scenario I have to spend 100 pounds for a new APPS in the UK.

Timmay wrote:
That's not bad at all. Hell, I spent that on my 3550. I might need you to help me find one.

Colin, you can make your own APPS for about $40. I'm thinking about doing it on the cummins because the stock one blows.

Or just grab an APPS from any number of drive by wire cars, heck toyotas and Jeeps share the same APPS unit now.

So the last bit of engine management stuff I need is an APPS. There is a diesel XJ that I could get the APPS out of, as you can see in the wiring diagram below they only differ by a single pin(which could be moved), the real concern is if the APPS returns the same voltage between the two.
(an Accelerator Pedal Postion Sensor is basically just a big POT=Potentiometer)

Now I could use a 05+ CRD POT, which indecently is shared by newer toyotas, but it would take a good deal more work to ensure I got the right voltage out of the pot.

So for reference:

So even if the XJ APPS does not return the same voltage a variable resistor connected inline could allow me to play around with it so that I got my throttle input right.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:38 pm

Well the tow truck arrived today with the MJ, battery was dead so I had to push it up into the driveway.

Put the battery charger on it and after a few hours it cranked enough for it to catch and startup.

Had the battery charger on all day untill about 6:30, took the charger off, started it once, then shut it off. An hour later I came back and it turned over once or twice and then just clicked.

Ran down to sams club and got a new battery, dropped it in and it fired right up. Moved it back and forth a little bit before backing it out of the driveway and going for a quick spin in my culdesac. Drives just fine, brakes feel a little soft.

Oil on the dipstick looks about 2 quarts overfilled(way overfilled), right now after it runs for a little bit oil just spits out from around the valve cover. I will drain some oil, degrease engine, and then take a look at things.

I saw no evidence of coolant leak when I drove it. Who knows.

Oh ya, and the parking brake doesn't work. Also, it was a trip not to find it next to the center console, I wasn't expecting that.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:41 pm

Getting closer, got some misc connectors and crap I need to tie the CRD harness into the XJ dash harness, though they are slightly different so I will need to trim the plugs to fit. (they have an indexing tab so you can't install the wrong plug in the wrong place, great when you have 3 similar plugs together, not great when you can only find the one plug) I might check and see if I can get some repair connectors from Jeep that will give me the correct plug so I dont have to trim some off the plugs I have now.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:42 pm

Some more parts arrived:
Hehehe......return home from my early class, looky whats here at the door:
Now lets get her inside and open her up!

Ohhhhh purdy:

As you can see its just a normal H3 bulb. I'm thinking H4 Xenons for the headlights, and H3 Xenons for the low beams........hehehehe

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:43 pm

I decided they would look better out in the sun, so I went and took some more pics. Turns out they are way cooler looking out there:

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:43 pm

Snapped some pics under the MJ today:

Ew, 2wd, gross!

Some light surface rust on stuff, but nothing structural or cancerous. Might try to get it sand blasted instead of wire-brush-drilled.

The one part of the body where I will need to do bodywork:

Testing out the 2500 flares, they basically take up the same amount of fender space that the 97+ flares do, but have a somewhat different "squared off" shape to them.

We will not be able to use the 97+ flare tie downs without modification:

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:44 pm

Bought this NV3550 for my MJ today for $550:
As you can see the bellhousing is broken so I got him down by $50, its the wrong bellhousing for me anyways, pictured next to it is the correct bellhousing for the CRD engine.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next